[Spread-users] Failure detection

Joshua Goodall joshua at roughtrade.net
Wed May 28 02:23:59 EDT 2003

Anders,

The classic way to solve the majority-quorum problem with only two
hosts is to have a shared lockable resource via some other medium
that could be relied upon to not partition (at least not in the
same way); in VMS and TruCluster this was the Quorum Disk, and it
contributed a "vote" to the server that locks the disk.

This has the distinct advantage over network-based multipath
alternatives that it works even if the partitioning is due to a
bug on the OS network stack.

Joshua.