[Spread-users] Help with configuration file

John Schultz jschultz at d-fusion.net
Mon Mar 31 13:06:38 EST 2003

Kevin Carlson wrote:

> Is there anyone that can point me to a resource that would explain the
> "Spread Segment" section of the configuration file other than the User's
> guide?

As far as I know the user guide and looking at the sample configuration
file itself are the only documentation for the .conf files.

> What I am attempting to do is set up a spread daemon on a single machine
> that other machines both on and off the local network can connect to.

A simple configuration such as:

Spread_Segment abc.def.ghi.255:7777 {
    host_name1 abc.def.ghi.jkl
}

where "abc.def.ghi" is your class C IP subnet (if you have a smaller
subnet alter this broadcast address appropriately) and "abc.def.ghi.jkl"
is the IP address of your server and host_name1 is your server's host
name should do the trick.

Have your clients connect to "7777 at abc.def.ghi.jkl". They will connect
across tcp/ip channels to the daemon on port 7777 -- it doesn't matter
if they are on the local network or across the internet; where they are
will only affect their connectivity (throughput, latency, loss, etc.) to
the daemon.

**NOTE**: if you have a lot of msgs going through your clients' groups
and clients are too slow in reading their msgs, Spread will eventually
disconnect them!!! Please see the email archives on client flow control
issues for more details.

> I gather that each segment is informing the daemon where it must broadcast
> data to, but why the need for each machine is confusing.  Is this to
> control access to the spread daemon?  Am I even on the right track?

In Spread, clients usually connect to one daemon (usually the closest
one, often on the same machine) using a point-to-point link (tcp/ip,
unix domain sockets, etc.). The daemon then acts as a proxy for the
client in the group communication system -- clients ask their daemon to
perform services for them (e.g. - multicast this msg to group A). The
daemons handle all the communications amongst themselves and then have
queues of msgs/events that they deliver to their connected clients.

The purpose of the Spread_Segment portions of the configuration file is
to let Spread know (1) what machines might have Spread daemons running
and (2) how to exploit local network broadcast/multicast capabilities
for increased performance between the daemons.

The machines you put in the same segment should be able to communicate
either through broadcast or multicast depending, respectively, on the
type of Spread_Segment address you list for that segment. Separate
segments communicate with one another using point-to-point protocols
(e.g. - tcp/ip, etc.).

--
John Schultz
Co-Founder, Lead Engineer