[Spread-users] Limiting Spread access

Jonathan Stanton jonathan at cnds.jhu.edu
Thu Mar 27 14:32:55 EST 2003

Spread does not implement any particular access control functionality
itself. However it does support a complete API for adding access control
and authentication methods of your choice without changing Spread code.
There is a modular framework with a standard set of hooks.

The details can be found in the paper:

http://www.cnds.jhu.edu/pub/papers/ngc01_auth_framework.pdf

with some example modules and more details in:

http://www.cnds.jhu.edu/pub/papers/cnds-2001-2.pdf

In the Spread source release you can see some tiny sample modules which
provide IP based access control (you can restrict which IP addresses
clients can connect to the server from).

Also, an example implementation of a user/password module exists in the
source code -- however this is very insecure and isn't meant to be used
itself, it is just an example.

Jonathan

Jonathan R. Stanton         jonathan at cs.jhu.edu
Dept. of Computer Science