[Spread-users] loadsharing with Spread ?

Van Gale vangale at fastmail.fm
Fri Jun 13 09:25:11 EDT 2003

. zist wrote:

> Is there a way with Spread to do some loadsharing between members of one
> Spread group ?
> The sender would send the message to the group and only one member of
> the group
> would read it (the first available).

There's nothing in spread to do load balancing (that I know of anyway),
so you'll have to use your own algorithms (like having the message
sender pick a group member and send to just that member, or multicasting
the message to the group and making sure the group has some
deterministic way of assigning the message to one member).

The ordered delivery guarantee of spread makes possile one pretty simple
round-robin type algorithm:  the i'th message can be read by the group
member whose rank in the group is i mod n.  All the other members throw
the message away.

Van