[Spread-users] questions from a new user

Ryan Caudy caudy at jhu.edu
Fri Jan 17 16:51:39 EST 2003

A single spread daemon can handle a fairly large number of clients...
how many, exactly, is OS-specific.  On Linux, this number is about 997.
  Spread daemons communicate with clients using TCP/IP, or Unix domain
sockets (if they are local, and this form of IPC is supported).

The number of messages per second that can be attained depend on the
spread configuration, and the underlying network.  On a LAN, spread can
handle thousands of messages per second.

Because clients connect and communicate with daemons by tcp/ip, there's
no reason that one daemon can't serve two subnets.  The only issue
concerning multiple subnets is that spread daemons in the same segment
communicate over a broadcast or multicast address.  To have only one
segment (and multiple daemons), they must either be in the same subnet
if they communicate using broadcast, or the routers between them must
allow multicast packets to be routed if they communicate using multicast.

There shouldn't be any problem with dynamically allocated client IP
addresses.  The spread.conf file, however, must correctly match the
servers, so you may need to continually update it if the *servers* do
not have static IP addresses.

For the system you have described, I would encourage you to use multiple
spread daemons... maybe one for each client, but a smaller number might
also help.  With only one daemon, any multicasted message would be sent
from one client, to the spread daemon, to each recipient of the message.
  For a message sent to 100 clients connected remotely (as opposed to
locally) by tcp/ip, the same data would cross the network 100 times.  If
  each client connected to a local daemon, the only communication over
the LAN would be between daemons, at much lower cost because of the use
of broadcast or multicast communication.

Spread can provide reliable multicast (or unicast) service, with a
variety of ordering guarantees, as documented in the users guide.
Sounds to me like you may need FIFO or AGREED ordering.

If you have further questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Ryan Caudy