[Spread-users] Error running spread

Ryan Caudy caudy at jhu.edu
Wed Feb 26 08:45:02 EST 2003

Spread isn't disconnecting because of the IP access control file...
thats just a message to warn you, in case you /were/ planning to use IP
access control.  The complaint that causes Spread to terminate is that
your Spread configuration file doesn't contain the ip address of the
machine you're starting Spread on.  Spread.conf specifies a number of
things, including the broadcast/multicast address to use and the total
possible membership for each segment in your Spread network.

It seems to be finding spread.conf in /usr/local/etc (one of the default
locations besides the current directory), which may not be where you put
your configuration file.  You can specify the configuration file to use
on the command line with the -c option.

Also, if 195.23.98.163 isn't the ip address that this machine is
supposed to be running spread with, you might need to use the -n, to
specify which processor name in the Spread.conf file applies to the
machine on which you're running Spread.

If you need help with writing the spread.conf file, look at
sample.spread.conf, or send some information to the list, including the
current spread.conf you're using and the configuration you want.

Good luck,
Ryan