[Spread-users] spread performance testing

Ryan Caudy caudy at jhu.edu
Tue Feb 25 23:33:55 EST 2003

Check the archives for this list; I recall seeing such numbers in the
past.  However, in order to do some testing of your own, examine the
spflooder program included with Spread.  The source is in flooder.c
(which may be under the daemon directory, depending on what you
downloaded).  You can use this to push a large number of packets of some
specified size through spread using multiple senders/receivers.  Only
small modifications to the code should be necessary to add timing and
other data gathering.  Alternatively, you could write your own very
simple application to do approximately the same thing... one key thing
you might consider, if you do so, is making sure the set of
sending/receiving nodes waits until all other nodes have been started
and joined some specified group before they begin the experiment.

Just to give you something rough to know if you're on the right track
with your own testing, I ran a quick test of my own, using spflooder and
the unix time command.  With two spread daemons running on different
machines (on a 100 Mbit ethernet), a receive-only spflooder on one
machine, and a send/receive spflooder on the other, I sent 10000 packets
of 1000 bytes each in 0.928 seconds.  Running several such tests in an
automated fashion should give you a decent average, but the result of
the time command will always be a little higher than simply the
transmission and receipt time for the messages, since it measures total
process execution time.  So, I would suggest embedding gettimeofday()
calls in the code.

If you do generate such results, let us know what you found.  Also, I'd
be interested to hear what kind of application you're building.

Good luck,
Ryan Caudy