[Spread-users] Win32 DLL options

Chetan Gadgil cgadgil_list at cxoindia.dnsalias.com
Mon Dec 15 06:50:44 EST 2003

First of all, thanks this great toolkit.

I think we should have DLL as the default output on Win32.
This needs minor code changes to the sp_func.h and sp.c files. (I
already have them)

Another thing we need, is to slightly change the interface of
SP_receive.
The argument syntax is not friendly towards easy conversion to .NET
PInvoke.

I have a modified wrapper, but I have done just enough to suit my
purpose.

The C# API was not stable enough for me to use (get runtime exceptions),
so I have wrapped the C library as a DLL within PInvoke.
It was a breeze, thanks to both Spread APIs and Microsoft's cool
PInvoke. This can be standardized as a part of the toolkit too, as the
maintenance overhead should be low.

Regards
Chetan

ACKNOWLEDGE, v.t.

To confess. Acknowledgement of one another's faults is the highest duty
imposed by our love of truth.
  - Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary