[Spread-users] Spread with non-blocking I/O

Martin Waite martin at datacash.com
Mon Dec 1 05:13:11 EST 2003

Hi,

Is it safe to use Spread with non-blocking I/O ?

I would like to write a select()- or poll()-based
network listener that collects requests from the
network and forwards them to request handlers
via Spread.

I understand that the Spread mailbox is a file-handle
and so select() should tell me when data is available
for reading/writing.  However, does the availability
of data on the file handle guarantee that the call
to sp_receive() will not block ?

Can I use the Spread Event subsystem to handle
non-blocking I/O and give this control over my listening
socket and accepted connections ?

regards,
Martin Waite