[Spread-users] spread slow to notice failures

Generic Player suck at my-balls.com
Wed Apr 9 13:42:42 EDT 2003

I am testing out spread right now to do load balancing between 2
webservers, using wackamole.  When I first start spread, they take
about 10 seconds to find each other, and when I turn off one of the
machines, it takes 30 seconds for the other to notice and respond.

Wackamole is fine, as soon as I see the membership event from spread,
wackamole moves the IPs, its just for some reason spread takes a long
time to notice when the other machine goes down.  I tried lowering the
values in membership.c, but it had no effect.  The only other thing
I've seen is people saying can cause slowness like this is because of
broadcast traffic not working, but broadcast traffic works fine from
what I can tell.

r.c and s.c don't compile, so I can't really test with those.  But if I
ping 10.0.0.255 both machines respond.  The machines are directly
connected to each other via crossover cable, 1000baseTX full-duplex.
Network connectivity is fine, no errors, good throughput.

Here's a copy of the config, its the same on both machines.

Spread_Segment 127.0.0.255:4803 {
	localhost	127.0.0.1
}

Spread_Segment 10.0.0.255 {