[Spread-users] Partition problem

Aswin Almeida aalmeida at bbn.com
Tue Apr 8 21:04:29 EDT 2003

Hello,

Surprisingly, we discovered that the problem was indeed due to specifying "127.0.0.1" per _segment_ in our spread.conf file.

This was the result of mistakenly including "127.0.0.1" per segment when dynamically generating spread.conf files.  We would dynamically generate a new spread.conf file for each experiment run, including only those hosts which were involved.

Of interest was that this partitioning behavior (and later merge) would happen across 2 WAN sites with a _small_ group.  With a larger group size (initial and joining), we did not see this behavior..

Yair did not know offhand why this would be the case, but cited that the 127.0.0.1 entry would only be valid in the instance where you have a single spread segment containing a single host... for example, you are testing Spread on a single machine.  (Makes sense).
Both JHU and BBN did not have the time to further investigate how the misconfiguration produced such an error.

However, if you run into a similar problem and do _not_ have 127.0.0.1 incorrectly specified for each of your Spread Segments in your spread.conf, I'm sure the Spread community will want to know <:

If you want more details as to how we produced this error, I'll be happy to share.  As for the s, r utility, we saw instances where links with high reported loss rates still showed consistent join times... so Yair might be the better person to ask about those utilities.  I recall older messages on the Spread mailing list that discussed s,r as well.  If you joined the mailing list more recently, search the archives at
http://lists.spread.org/pipermail/spread-users/ (grab the full raw archive).

-Aswin