[Spread-users] Tuning spread's performance for multicast

Jonathan Stanton jonathan at cnds.jhu.edu
Fri Apr 4 17:40:04 EST 2003

I can provide a 5 cent comparison...

I don't know MCL/fcast directly, but I took a quick look at the webpages
and I know of the researchers.

Spread and MCL are trying to provide a different type of service, MCL is
providing reliable multicast of files and multimedia streams to a large
number of receivers. So it is a 1-many transfer and "file reliability"
is the main goal. Spread provides a "group messaging service" which is
more general (in that it supports many-many communication, and stronger
semantics like SAFE and AGREED), and is 'message' oriented (like a
datagram protocol) rather then 'stream' oriented like TCP. Spread can be
used to multicast files, as it provides a reliable datagram multicast
service, but since that isn't it's sole purpose it may not be as
optimized for that specific service.

There are a number of other differences in technical detail, but most of
them are a consequence of the difference in high-level goals.

Jonathan

Jonathan R. Stanton         jonathan at cs.jhu.edu
Dept. of Computer Science