[Spread-users] Tuning spread's performance for multicast

Guy Argo gargo at looksmart.net
Fri Apr 4 15:37:33 EST 2003

I'm using Spread (under python) for a file delivery system.
Basically I want to deliver several large files to multiple destinations
simultaneously preferably multicasting them to minimize
network usage. I attached my crude little python test bed.

I got it to work and tested it on two machines on the same
subnet and the performance was underwhelming.
I achieved sustained throughput of 40KB/s for data sent using
multicast with RELIABLE_MESS and FIFO_MESS protocols.
The machines both have 100 Mb cards.
FTP achieved 600 KB/s.
Do you have any recommendations about how to tune
Spread to increase the performance?

I couldn't find anything in the doc. :(

---
Guy Argo <gargo at looksmart.net> ph +1 415 348 7683
Director, Production Engineering
LookSmart Ltd., 625 2nd St., SF CA 94107

 <<pushpull.py>>