[Spread-users] Configuration file answer

Aswin Almeida aalmeida at bbn.com
Fri Apr 4 12:41:37 EST 2003

Hi Yair,

Comments are inline.

>To me, the segment definition in your example below seems incorrect.
>You should not include 127.0.0.1 in a spread configuration file unless
>the configuration file includes exactly one segment with exactly one
>machine.

Right, this is what I was thinking as well.

While helping Brian Beck recently (recall he was the Red team fellow asking
us questions about the integrated architecture), I noticed that he had
127.0.0.1 specified in his spread.conf file.

This made me think about our own experiment runs.  Each run's conf files
specify 127.0.0.1 as part of each segment.

I was concerned that this would cause side effects that you, folks at JHU,
or Jonathan would be aware of.  So, airing on the side of caution, I posed
the question.  If it's simply not supposed to work, well, we've done many,
many runs with 127.0.0.1 as part of one or more segments that are
a.b.c.255, x.y.z.255, etc which contain 2 or more machines.

>Having said that, I don't think this relates in any way to the problem
>you have with partitioning.

Gotcha.

I threw that in at the end because I'd knew I'd have your attention and
wanted you to see that Sara and I had discovered quite a bit of info beyond
what was discussed at the TIC <:  Didn't mean that the two things were
necessarily tied together.

Regards,

Aswin