[Spread-users] Re: Understanding SAFE messages (Dave Viner)

Alberto Bartoli bartolia at univ.trieste.it
Fri Apr 4 02:26:19 EST 2003

On Thu, 03 Apr 2003 14:51:02 -0500, <spread-users-request at lists.spread.org>
wrote:

Hi Dave,

as far as I can tell, your understanding of SAFE messages is not correct.

The idea is, very informally, this: if a group member p receives a SAFE
message m, then
p can conclude that each group member (better said: each member of the view
in which
p receives m) will receive m unless it crashes before. So, if p receives m
when the membership
of its view is p,q,r,s,t, then p can conclude, "ok, m is safe, so each of
q,r,s,t will
also receive m in v, unless it crashes before receiving m".

With a RELIABLE message, p does not have this guarantee. All that p can
tell is this: upon receiving the next view w following v, then p can
conclude "ok, all members of w that were also
members of v have received in v the same messages that I have received,
e.g., m" (actually things
are subtler than this, but this is the basic idea). Note that when p
receives m, p CANNOT tell
anything about who will also receive m. In the limit, p might even be the
ONLY group member that receives m.

While the guarantees of SAFE messages are indeed strong, useful and
relatively easy to understand, enforcing them in practice is not possible.
To make a long story short, the problem is that the communication
infrastructure might find itself in a situation in which it cannot deliver
a message as SAFE. This can happen only as a result of certain failures
during the protocol for delivering a message. So, what might happen in
practice is this: p receives a transitional view and then receives m; in
this case p can conclude something much weaker than before: "ok, m is safe,
so each of the members of my transitional view will also receive m, unless
it crashes before; but I CANNOT tell anything regarding members of the
regular view that are not in my transitional view; they MAY OR MAY NOT have
delivered the message". Reasoning about messages received in a transitional
view is quite complex.

Hope this helps.

--

     Alberto

NEW PHONE NUMBER 040 676 XXXX ---> 040 558 XXXX

Alberto Bartoli
Associate Professor / Profesor Titular
Faculty of Engineering, University of Trieste
http://www.univ.trieste.it/bartolia