[Spread-users] Partition problem

Yair Amir yairamir at cnds.jhu.edu
Thu Apr 3 07:38:35 EST 2003

Hi Ben,

It's not likely to be a "bug" in Spread because the same configuration
works for them with the layered architecture of Secure Spread, which
has a regular Spread 3.17.0 underneath. In theory there should be no
difference when running only Spread without Secure Spread. In
practice, native Spread sends these join messages much faster than
Secure Spread (that needs to compute the keys). Sending these messages
at that speed creates a upd loss. It is a pure flow control problem but
in my opinion, it might not be a Spread flow control problem. Last time I checked
it we traced it to a very high loss rate on all links coming to one cite
which participated in all the experiments at the time.

Aswin's e-mail suggests they get this now with other sites as well.

   Cheers,

   :) Yair.