[Spread-users] Is this a reasonable way to use spread?

Jonathan Stanton jonathan at cnds.jhu.edu
Mon Oct 7 14:10:40 EDT 2002

To add a bit to what Theo said. Spread should support both of these
requirements quite well. It was actually designed for exactly this purpose
(to support a large number of clients with fewer servers, and to support a
large number of groups).

The current version (3.17.0) has been tested with at least 6000 groups
active (on a few daemons) with upto 950 client connections per daemon. A
large number of groups and clients will increase a bit the memory used by
the Spread daemon, and will burn some additional cpu, but otherwise should
not cause a problem. Previous versions might encounter some problems in
membership if you are using more then about 1200 groups, so I recommend
you use the current version if you need lots of groups.

If you do experience any issues we would be happy to hear about them, and
once it is working we'd definitely be interested in hearing about your
experiences and thoughts.

Jonathan

Jonathan R. Stanton         jonathan at cs.jhu.edu
Dept. of Computer Science