[Spread-users] reliably starting spread or how to make spread work?

Rob Brown-Bayliss rob at zoism.org
Sat Oct 5 20:40:27 EDT 2002

Hello.

For what ever reason I am unable to get spread to work reliably between
just two  machines.

I am running redhat 7.2 and was wondering if there are known issues with
spread and RH.

spflooder wont show on the remote machine. But if I run spmonitor and
try to terminate all deamons the remote machine shows a Net_recv:
message from the local machine.

Yet this python code:

#!/usr/bin/env python2

import sys
import xmlrpclib
import socket
import spread

def connect():
	spread_name = str(spread.DEFAULT_SPREAD_PORT) + "@localhost"

	connection = spread.connect(spread_name, "Test1", 0, 1)
	return connection

if __name__ == '__main__':
	#print dir(spread)
	conn = connect()
	print conn
	conn.join("DM")
	print conn.fileno()
	message_type = 22
	message = "He Joe", "Where you going with that gun in your hand?"
	conn.multicast(spread.RELIABLE_MESS, "DM", xmlrpclib.dumps(message),
message_type)

only shows the connection on the local machine,

Randomly stoping one or both deamomns and restarting them will some
times fix it, once working it works untill I choose to stop it but I
don't know why it only works sometimes.

This is my segment config on both machines:

# This configures one spread daemon running on port 4803 on localhost.

Spread_Segment  10.0.0.255:4803 {
        caspian                 10.0.0.22
        wrybill                 10.0.0.40
}