[Spread-users] JVM Compatibility

Jonathan Stanton jonathan at cnds.jhu.edu
Fri Oct 4 19:16:14 EDT 2002

On Fri, Oct 04, 2002 at 02:49:49PM -0700, Daniel Rall wrote:
> Phil Dier <phil at gettcomm.com> writes:
>
> > Would anyone care to comment on the Java VM compatibility of the java
> > client libraries?
> >
> > I have an applet working beautifully with sun's 1.4 VM, but I'm having
> > no luck getting it work work with MS's (based on 1.1 java spec).
> >
> > Do the client libraries depend heavily on >1.1 jvm features and if so,
> > would it be easy to make them work with 1.1?
>
> A quick glance through the Java code doesn't show any readily apparent
> 1.2-isms.  However, IIRC, Microsoft's 1.1 JVM isn't really fully
> Java-compliant.  Do you have a log of the errors which you're getting?
>
> It's also possible that the applet must be signed to open socket
> connections -- I don't recall.

The java support for spread was originally written for Java 1.0.2 and was
updated to use some java 1.1 features a bit later. Since then we have not
used any additional java features, just fixed bugs, updated the protocol
implementation, or added new methods. So it should work on 1.1.

It is mainly tested on Suns JVM, but I know of several people using it
extensively with java programs on Windows. I do not know which jvm they
are using and they might be using Sun's JVM for Windows and not Microsofts
JVM.

Jonathanx

Jonathan R. Stanton         jonathan at cs.jhu.edu
Dept. of Computer Science