[Spread-users] Story for sysadmin magazine

John David Duncan jdd at greatschools.net
Fri Oct 4 18:19:20 EDT 2002

> Real time priority sceduling is available on linux as well.  There is a
> perl toolkit for doing so on
> http://www.omniti.com/~george/mod_log_spread/Scheduler-Linux.tar.gz

Yes, I'll mention that.

> An example of a mod_perl module to duplicate mod_log_spread
> functionality might be nice if you have one (and if not, I can
> contribute a perl implementation to CPAN for reference).

There's error_log_spread.pl -- should I mention that?  Or do you have
something more?

> There are some serious idiosynchrocies when running spread in multicast
> mode on Linux (i your mcast routes aren't set up correctly, your rings
> will run severely degraded).  Mentioning that might be nice, and/or
> mentioning how to set it up in broadcast mode (which avoids those
> problems).

I have never used Spread on linux, but realized after I started writing
this that multicast is a messy topic and some of the things I learned
about it five years ago aren't true anymore.  (Except that you shouldn't
even think about trying to route it -- that part is still true :)

Maybe I would do better to put a broadcast address in the sample spread
config?

- JD