[Spread-users] Newbie spread questions

Theo Schlossnagle jesus at omniti.com
Fri Oct 4 16:37:48 EDT 2002

Olufemi Anthony wrote:

> Hi all, I'm new to spread. I have the following questions:
>
> i. From a reliability point of view,  is it preferable to run spread
> in duplex mode or load-balanced mode, with say
>
> 2 collector servers?
> 3 collector servers?
>
> In duplex mode, we mirror the logs. say we have hourly logging. Hence
> if one machine goes down, the log harvesting program has to make a
> decision as to which files to harvest for that hour.
>
> However, in failover mode, we do not have the benefit of backup
> logging if the machine in rotation  goes down and spread isn't smart
> enough to make the switch to the other one.
>
> What has been your experience with either of the 2 modes?
>
> ii.  What sort of reliability does one get with spread? Are there any
> numbers you can point me to? Which high-traffic websites are running
> spread today?

This looks alot like a mod_log_spread/spreadlogd question.  You should
direct your questions to the appropriate list:

mls-users at lists.backhand.org

Theo Schlossnagle
Principal Consultant
OmniTI Computer Consulting, Inc. -- http://www.omniti.com/
Phone:  +1 410 872 4910 x201     Fax:  +1 410 872 4911
1024D/82844984/95FD 30F1 489E 4613 F22E  491A 7E88 364C 8284 4984
2047R/33131B65/71 F7 95 64 49 76 5D BA  3D 90 B9 9F BE 27 24 E7

 --              Presenting at ApacheCon                --
 --                November 18th, 2002                  --
 --                 Las Vegas, Nevada                   --
 -- Backhand: understanding and building HA/LB clusters --
 --           http://apachecon.com/2002/US/             --
 -- Learn all there is to know about high availability  --
 -- internet systems and load balancing techniques      --
 -- focusing on applications driven by the Apache web   --
 -- server!                                             --