[Spread-users] MSG PERSISTENCE IN DISK

Daniel Rall dlr at finemaltcoding.com
Tue Nov 12 14:07:15 EST 2002

Ben Laurie <ben at algroup.co.uk> writes:

> Manuel Duran Aguete wrote:
> > Hello,
> > 	We are newbies usign spread.
>
> > 	We are interested in adding disk-based persintence feature for
> > certain
>
> > msgs. We are thinking in storing the messages in a local db file, to be
> > able to deliver a msg if the server/client crashes. Any suggestion or
> > idea is wellcome.
>
> There's a paper all about how to do this properly on the Spread
> website. The Spread guys have threatened to actually produce an
> implementation, but no word on when :-)
>
> I think it'd be cool to have.

Hooking a persistance mechanism up to Spread is a great idea.  Even
better would be if this persistance mechanism provided versioning!
Lately I've been dreaming about hooking Spread up to Subversion[1],
and vice versa.

Subversion uses BerkeleyDB[2] as its backend (a "local db file," as
suggested above by Manuel), and includes both a repository access[3]
and file system[4] API.  Subversion is implemented using the Apache
Portable Runtime[5] C support library (and the server as a module for
Apache httpd), and runs on unixy and windows systems.  Though still in
development, it has been self hosting for over a year.

The combination would make not only an ideal gateway for a persistent,
versioned message store with access control, but would eventually
allow Subversion to provide distributed/federated repositories.
--

Daniel Rall <dlr at finemaltcoding.com>

[1] http://subversion.tigris.org/
[2] http://sleepycat.com/