[Spread-users] Shared Libraries

Joshua Goodall joshua at roughtrade.net
Tue Mar 5 17:24:55 EST 2002

On most modern OS's, I would be very surprised indeed if the shared
lib forms worked at all differently to a statically linked binary.
There is a tiny overhead involved.

I have had system maintenance issues from static libs; that is, I
feel I have to recompile every dependent binary (and bear in mind
that most sysadmins don't have time to subscribe to the CVS logs
of every package they install in order to know better). This is an
even greater problem in a fine-grained dependency tree (e.g. the
Debian GNU/Linux project).

Conversely, statically linked binaries are definitely more reliable
and easier to comfortably sign-off for in production usage. So
having both is a comfort. I think I will test sometime this week.