[Spread-users] Trying to use spread on 6 machines in a lab.

Daniel J Walsh dwalsh at redhat.com
Fri Jun 21 14:32:31 EDT 2002

I been trying to get spread to work and having several problems.

I am running on Red Hat Linux 7.2 and 7.3.

I have been using the Python bindings and spuser and seeing similar
problems.
Basically I have tried to set it two ways.  First I run a spread daemon
on all 6 machines danlaptop, danstestlaptop, security[1-4].
Then I use receive.py on one server to register for messages.  Then I
run test.py on a different server.  Receive never gets the message.
Shouldn't it?  If I run receive.py on the same machine that I run
test.py on it works.

So now I attempt to run receive.py on one machine and run test.py from a
remote machine to the same server using 4803 at remoteServer.
This works on between certain machine and not others.  I can stop the
servers on a machine restart it and it works for a short while.
What am I doing wrong.

Finally the first time I configured the /etc/spread.conf.  I used fully
specified hosts names in it.  This caused the spread daemon to display
some wierd characters and seemed to cause it to be unstable.

Dan