[Spread-users] spread.access_pword sample

Jonathan Stanton jonathan at cnds.jhu.edu
Sun Jul 21 02:00:37 EDT 2002

I wrote the password access control module mainly as demo code for how
the authentication framework for spread works.

I highly recommend that noone actually USE the password module to do
authentication as it is not tested, secure, or high quality :-)

If you need password based authentication from remote clients, the best
"quick and good" option is to use ssh tunnels to tunnel the spread
client-server connection. If the clients are guaranteed to be run on the
same machine as the server, it should be very simple to write an auth
module for Spread that uses the local OS password checking scheme.

Hope that helps. If you want to test my password module I think the
keyword for it is "PWORD" to be added to the "AuthMethods" line in
spread.conf. You will probably have to look at the code to get the
configuration details right as there is no documentation.

Jonathan

Jonathan R. Stanton         jonathan at cs.jhu.edu
Dept. of Computer Science