[Spread-users] is mbox guaranteed to be a socket?

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Thu Jul 11 13:21:45 EDT 2002

I want to do the Squeak language binding for Spread.

Squeak has its own internal multi-threading and support for async
files and sockets.

It uses select() internally to avoid constant polling.

To make Spread play nicely with Squeak's multitasking, it would be
best to use the socket handle(s) of the Spread connection(s) in the
master select() call.

I notice that the "mbox" is actually a socket handle. I'd like to use
it in my select().

Is the equivalence of mbox and socket handle likely to change anytime
soon?

Is this the same in Windows?

Thanks,
--