[Spread-users] Wackamole IP takeover time

Theo Schlossnagle jesus at omniti.com
Thu Jul 11 10:51:04 EDT 2002

Min Lu wrote:

>We seem to have all things running alright. But I have
>a question here. Has anyone done benchmarking on the
>IP takeover time on two-node Wackamole to see exactly
>how much time is needed to the virtual IP to be
>switched over(excluding applications). It seems to be
>reasonably fast, and I know it depends on the network
>conditions and physical network connections. I just
>need the numbers.

The decision is instantaneous (few milliseconds), Actually bringing the
IP online and arp spoofing is extremely fast as well (milliseconds
again).  The only process that operates in the seconds range is the user
configurable options  (hard coded in the last release and in
wackamole.conf in the CVS tree)  If you environment is extremely stable
you can achieve subsecond IP takeover times without much issue.

In my production environments, I range this from 2 to 5 seconds to be on
the safe side -- machines and networks don't alwas act as expected and
it is better to give them the benefit of the doubt in my experience.

--
Theo Schlossnagle
Principal Consultant