[Spread-users] 1 problem with Spread.pm and 1 problem with spread daemon, was

Jonathan Stanton jonathan at cnds.jhu.edu
Mon Jan 21 22:40:16 EST 2002

On Fri, Jan 18, 2002 at 10:16:09AM +0000, Ben Laurie wrote:
> Theo Schlossnagle wrote:
> > There are many applications where it makes good sense to increase those
> > "hard limits" in Spread considerably.  There are a lot parameters that
> > can be tweaked and tuned to make it run better on LANs vs. WANs and more
> > appropriately "fit" the needs of your application.  All of these require
> > a recompile of the Spread daemon.
>
> Of course, this is a strong argument for making the "hard limits" soft.

By soft, do you mean runtime configurable (so no recompile required) or do
you mean adaptive, so that somehow spread adapts the limits to the
application usage?

Or do you mean something else? Usually I thought, 'soft limits' are limits
that can be gone above, but they either trigger a warning, or like rusage
are easily raised by the user.

Jonathan R. Stanton         jonathan at cs.jhu.edu
Dept. of Computer Science