[Spread-users] Error

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Fri Jan 18 09:58:56 EST 2002

> Still, Guido saw some other failures that didn't fit this scenario, like
> "Sess_validate_read_header: Message has negative or too large num_groups
> field" (btw, the Alarm that displays this is missing a %d in its format
> string, so it doesn't show the offending num_groups value also passed to the
> Alarm call).

Could that one have been caused by the disconnects too?  This part of
Spread's session.c code is a bit too hairy for me to follow (and my
motivation is low now that we've nailed our problem :-), but couldn't
a short read have caused this?

> We'd love to hear anything about possible problems with
> multithreaded apps regardless.

Indeed.  (The only one we know about is that disconnects in one thread
can cause arbitrary trouble for other threads.)