[Spread-users] 1 problem with Spread.pm and 1 problem with spread daemon, was

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Fri Jan 18 01:20:50 EST 2002

> On Thursday, January 17, 2002, at 08:52 PM, Guido van Rossum wrote:
>
> >> The Spread daemon has a hard limit of 1000 queued messages.  If you're
> >> behind reading your messages, and Spread finds that it's queued up
> >> more than 1000, it disconnects you.  I just found this out myself, and
> >> it is causing us a major rewrite of our app. :-(
>
> How can you rewrite the app to fix this? It seems like the only way to
> fix it is to: 1) Spread less, or 2) empty mailboxes faster...

In our case, we're sending many (mostly) small messages, so we hit the
1000 message limit quickly.  We'll be rewriting our protocol to batch
up things so we will be sending fewer large messages.  This is more
efficient for spread anyway (per kilobyte payload), and the processing
time in our app won't be affected.