[Spread-users] This time, networking issues...

Yair Amir yairamir at cnds.jhu.edu
Fri Feb 22 15:41:09 EST 2002

Yes.

Your configuration file does not fit your network in the sense
that your broadcast/multcast address you provided in the spread.conf
does not actually work at all on your network.

Spread is kind of handling it gracefully for you (or not) such that
as long as there are two guys, the broadcast does not work and then,
since only one guy missed any message,
a unicast is used by the initial sender to recover it for the other guy
that missed it, and unicasts do work on your network.
So even when you had 2 guys the system probably ran much slower than
necessary (at least twice as slow as it should).

When you have more than 2 guys and the multicast message/broadcast
message does not work, the others are asking for it and a broadcast/multicast
is used again to recover it and that will nor work.
Therefore there will be no progress in the system.

Fix your network / config file.

	Cheers,

	:) Yair.