[Spread-users] This time, networking issues...

Michael C. Jackson mcj at corp.halfpricehosting.com
Fri Feb 22 14:28:44 EST 2002

Hello yet again.  I think I am OK with the Perl issues now that I
understand the whole hash-reference bit.  Now I'm having a separate
issue.

We have three machines here that we are trying to get running over
spread.  Let's give them these IP's for illustrative purposes.

x.220.0.150
x.220.0.180
x.220.0.190

My spread.conf is set up as follows:

Spread_Segment x.220.0.255 {
	anomaly	x.220.0.150
	singularity	x.220.0.180
	entropy	x.220.0.190
}

Here's the issue.  Any of these machines can talk to a single other
machine via spread, but when you bring a third one live, when it's
recognized by the other spread daemons, the network 'freaks out.'  I
will elaborate since that's not a very good description.  If you have
spmonitor running, retrans (in particular, s_retrans) goes through the
roof.  You can also watch the hub that these are all connected to light
up in a rather epileptic manner.  I've talked with a few people here,
and we don't know of any network-related reason this shouldn't work.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance, as always.

----
Michael C. Jackson