[Spread-users] Practical Wide-Area Database Replication

Yair Amir yairamir at cnds.jhu.edu
Mon Feb 4 22:25:34 EST 2002

Hi,

I thought it might be of interest to some people on this
list to know that we have made public technical report CNDS-2002-1,
"Practical Wide-Area Database Replication" by Y. Amir, C. Danilov,
M. Miskin-Amir, J. Stanton and C. Tutu.

http://www.cnds.jhu.edu/publications/replication_publ.html

This report represents the culmination of a huge effort that took place in the
CNDS lab over the last couple of years.

Abstract:

This paper explores the architecture, implementation and performance of a wide and local area database replication system. The architecture provides peer replication, supporting diverse application semantics, based on a group communication paradigm. Network partitions and merges, computer crashes and recoveries, and message omissions are all handled. Using a generic replication engine and the Spread group communication toolkit, we provide replication services for the PostgreSQL database system. We define three different environments to be used as test-beds: a local area cluster, a wide area network that spans the U.S.A, and an emulated wide area test bed. We conduct an extensive set of experiments on these environments, varying the number of replicas and clients, the mix of updates and queries, and the network latency. Our results show that sophisticated algorithms and careful distributed systems design can make symmetric, synchronous, peer database replication a reality for both local
and wide area networks.

Conclusion:

One of the difficulties in providing efficient and correct wide area database replication is that it requires integrating different techniques from several research fields including distributed systems, databases, network protocols and operating systems. Not only does each of these techniques have to be efficient by itself, they all have to be efficient in concert with each other.

Some highlights of our results, replicating the Postgres database (that can perform about 120 updates per second without replication): For a local-area cluster with 14 replicas, the latency each update experiences is 27ms under zero throughput and 50ms under a throughput of 80 updates per second. The highest throughput in this setting is 106 updates per second.

For a wide-area network with a 45ms diameter and 7 replicas, the latency each update experiences is 268ms under zero throughput and 281ms under a throughput of 73 updates per second. The highest throughput in this setting is 85 updates per second, which is achieved with 28 clients and a latency of 331ms per update. When the diameter of the network is doubled to 90ms, the 85 updates per second throughput is maintained (although more clients are needed).

In all cases, the throughput for read-only actions approaches the combined power of all the replicas

These results demonstrate the practicality of local and wide area peer (synchronous) database replication. Using our scheme to replicate a database with better performance could achieve better results since our replication architecture was not the bottleneck.

To achieve these results optimizations had to take place at various levels: First, at the network level, we had to optimize the latency of Safe Delivery on wide area networks. Second, we had to avoid end-to-end acknowledgments for each transaction while not compromising correctness of the system even in partitionable and crash-prone environments, and not delaying transaction execution. Third, we had to minimize the synchronous disk writes the replication server requires in addition to those performed by the database manager. Fourth, we had to obtain some semantic knowledge to correctly avoid replicating transactions that do not require it (e.g. read-only queries).

We show the feasibility of a database replication architecture that is transparent to both client and database manager, correctly handles arbitrary failures, and supports a number of different semantic guarantees for transactions such as one-copy serializability, weak consistency and delayed updates.

If that made you interested - go read the paper :)

	Cheers,

	:) Yair.	http://www.cs.jhu.edu/~yairamir