[Spread-users] autoconf support for Spread!

Theo Schlossnagle jesus at omniti.com
Sat Feb 2 23:07:51 EST 2002

On Saturday, February 2, 2002, at 10:55  PM, Joshua Goodall wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 20, 2001 at 05:48:02PM -0400, Theo Schlossnagle wrote:
>> I have added autoconf support for Spread.  It is a _HEFTY_ patch, but
>> changes very little of the existing Spread code base.  There are
>> obviously dramatic changes in arch.h as you no longer have to detail
>> every architecture.
>
> Any chance of an update?  Anticipating the day that Spread is
> autoconf'd out-of-the-CVS-tree, I'd like to see it maintained.

I submitted my patch against a 3.16.0 prerelease.  It should apply
almost out of the box.  As for maintaining it, I would be more than
happy to maintain that portion of Spread code if it were adopted into
the main tree.  However, I am no fan of ice skating up hill.

Jonathan has my patch and it should take very little effort to apply it
in its current form.  I guess this decision is directly in the lap of
Jonathan and perhaps Yair.

I tested the patch and everything on Solaris (2.5-8), Linux, FreeBSD,
(all on both little and big endian systems).  I made efforts to maintain
the Window portion in an "untouched" form -- so, it should still work
too.  Also, the install is nice and respects alternate locations without
makefile changes.

--
Theo Schlossnagle
1024D/82844984/95FD 30F1 489E 4613 F22E  491A 7E88 364C 8284 4984