[Spread-users] Log rotation

Van Gale vangale at fastmail.fm
Wed Dec 18 20:06:27 EST 2002

> Quick question: we need to rotate our logfiles without killing and
> restarting the spread daemon.  Can this be done?

DJB's deamontools suite includes a program called "multilog" (see
http://cr.yp.to/daemontools/multilog.html ) that will recieve logging info
from stdin (therefore you need to configure spread to log to stdout) and
will automatically rotate log files.

I guess some people have problems with DJB's god complex, and his
non-conformance to any kind of directory standards, but I really like using
deamontools, and in fact use it for spread and a number of python based
servers.  The one server I haven't been able to get working with daemontools
is Zope, but I haven't really tried hard enough yet hehe.

Van Gale