[Spread-users] Flush

John Schultz jschultz at commedia.cnds.jhu.edu
Tue Dec 17 17:45:13 EST 2002

Hi Gus,

You are correct in that you must have some mechanism (e.g. - a thread,
using select on mailboxes, or active polling) in your program to check for
and handle activity on your spread mailboxes.

However, this is not a peculiarity of flush messages in secure spread and
flush spread; you must do this for all messages in secure spread, flush
spread and spread.  In spread, if you do not have a mechanism that checks
for activity on your mailbox and msgs are being sent to you, then Spread
will eventually drop your connection because you aren't reading messages
fast enough.  This can happen in a very short period of time (less than a
second) if a lot of activity is going on.

To answer your particular question, I don't believe there currently is a
way to enable an auto-flush ok, although it would be fairly easy to
implement. In fact, if you disable membership notifications in
ssp_connect, then the library probably should auto-flush for you and not
deliver transitional msgs.

John Schultz
Co-Founder, Lead Engineer
D-Fusion, Inc. (http://www.d-fusion.net)