[Spread-users] large # of small messages transmission using spread

Yair Amir yairamir at cnds.jhu.edu
Wed Dec 4 01:47:32 EST 2002

Hi,

By having only one spread daemon in the system you nullified all the protocol work in
Spread. I am not surprised that your performance is not good.

Put a Spread daemon only on all of the machines that have a client.
Use IP Multicast address in the config file with one segment only
(assuming you are talking about a local area network).
1400 messages per second on such a network should not be a problem.

You might want to read the user guide.

    Cheers,

    :) Yair.

¿øÅÂȯ> We are using spread to send large # of small messages under 512B.
¿øÅÂȯ> Total # of messages per hour would be more than 5,000,000 msgs.

¿øÅÂȯ> spread configuration is:
¿øÅÂȯ>         one spread server: sun nettra t120(2x450Mhz) with 1Gbps ethernet
¿øÅÂȯ>         two spread clients: sun machine (1 x 450Mhz) with 1Gbps ethernet
¿øÅÂȯ>         transmission mode: reliable delivery mode using TCP as a transport

¿øÅÂȯ> In our experiment, we found that the spread daemon on the server machine
¿øÅÂȯ> eated upto 80% of CPU resource. :-(
¿øÅÂȯ> So, I looked at the spread daemon source and found that the main loop is select.
¿øÅÂȯ> I tried to make a small change spread daemon to work in multi-thread mode.
¿øÅÂȯ> But its performance went down...

¿øÅÂȯ> My idea for such a application is
¿øÅÂȯ>         (1) multiple spread daemons on the same server machine
¿øÅÂȯ>                 for traffic partitioning (for shorter delay)
¿øÅÂȯ>         (2) any idea from some smart guy :-)

¿øÅÂȯ> Any help/comments would be **highly** appreciated!

¿øÅÂȯ> Thanks in adv.

¿øÅÂȯ> Tawan

¿øÅÂȯ> Spread-users mailing list
¿øÅÂȯ> Spread-users at lists.spread.org