[Spread-users] Static vs. Shared libraries...

Jonathan Stanton jonathan at cnds.jhu.edu
Sun Aug 11 15:18:22 EDT 2002

On Sun, Aug 11, 2002 at 11:26:57PM +1000, Joshua Goodall wrote:
> There is a major annoyance factor, though, in that libsp.so is
> already "taken" (by James Clark's well-known SGML Parser, widely
> used for DocBook etc).  I really feel it ought to be libspread.so!

We are aware of this conflict we have both been using the same suffix for
a long time (over five years) and only in the last year or so has the
conflict become apparent. We were first notified by some linux
distribution people who were trying to package both Spread and the SGML
parser and they conflicted in /usr/lib :-) When/If we change it I think
the name is almost assuredly going to be libspread.so.

Anyone know why the SGML parser uses "sp"?

There are some other namespace conflicts that could also crop up (in some
defines, function names, etc) We have discussed a general cleanup but it
will require a major version change and modifying applications so we
havn't done it yet -- yes I know the costs get higher the longer we wait
:-(  --

Jonathan R. Stanton         jonathan at cs.jhu.edu
Dept. of Computer Science