[Spread-users] Static vs. Shared libraries...

Joshua Goodall joshua at roughtrade.net
Sun Aug 11 09:26:57 EDT 2002

On Sat, Aug 10, 2002 at 09:00:53PM -0400, Jonathan Stanton wrote:
> It is true that some of the Spread people have a strong preference for
> static libraries. That doesn't preclude shared library support and as you
> noted the makefile for linux added it to test it out and more support is
> coming.

Sean has actually submitted a patch for the FreeBSD package of
Spread (of which I'm the maintainer).  Right now it doesn't build
or install the .so's but I personally feel that modern OS packaging
methods greatly favour the shared-lib approach, whatever one's
personal preference, so I will probably add my stamp of approval
once I've given a more formal test under FreeBSD (sometime this
week).

There is a major annoyance factor, though, in that libsp.so is
already "taken" (by James Clark's well-known SGML Parser, widely
used for DocBook etc).  I really feel it ought to be libspread.so!

Regards,
Joshua