[Spread-users] Unique message id

Jonathan Stanton jonathan at cnds.jhu.edu
Fri Aug 9 23:04:07 EDT 2002

Hi,

The sequence numbers generated by Spread to order messages are not
accessible to applications, so I'm not sure how you were going to use
them. In actuality the internal sequence numbers are unique within each
'view' of the membership, but as soon as a daemon crashes or restarts or
a network partition occurs or recoveres, the sequence numbers will start
over at 1, so I don't think they will work for you.

The best way is to just tag your application level messages with a unique
message id such as a tuple of local application sequence number and
spread connection private name (which is guaranteed to be unique until
your application disconnects) or some other 'name' attached to each
instance of your application.

Jonathan

Jonathan R. Stanton         jonathan at cs.jhu.edu
Dept. of Computer Science