[Spread-users] Question & Spread Concepts

Yair Amir yairamir at cnds.jhu.edu
Thu Apr 25 14:15:44 EDT 2002

Hi,

In this case, do you assume all of the Spread daemons are on the same broadcast segment?
If so, in theory it is possible to create such a Spread daemon. (in fact a previous,
much less sophisticated group comm I built worked like that - but was confined
to one broadcast or multicast domain).

How do you expect Spread daemons to find other daemons on the Internet otherwise?

Now, if broadcasting from outside a segment would work in practice, that could
allow a solution but unfortunately, I have yet to see a segment that allows using
its broadcast address from the outside and all the routers on the way forward it.

Even in that case, you still would need the differet segments addresses in setup
time, but I agree that this is much easier to set up and changes much less frequently.

Any thoughts from anyone would be appreciated.

	Cheers,

	:) Yair.