[Spread-users] Question & Spread Concepts

Tracy Boehrer tboehrer at voice3g.com
Thu Apr 25 13:53:16 EDT 2002

This is assuming you know all of the addresses that will be used in the future.  In our case, we sell an appliance server that the customer would buy when they need to scale.  The intent is to simply plug the server in, assign it an IP addresses via an LCD panel on the front of the box (or use DHCP), and it self configures the software by locating other servers in the "cluster".  If it were simply that the user had to configure something on the new box this would probably be aaceptable (but not perfect).  But with the current Spread, the user would have to add that IP address to each box, and restart them.  In an environment where shutting down a box means loss of service, it's a big issue.