[Spread-users] Spread and subnet

Jonathan Stanton jonathan at cnds.jhu.edu
Tue Apr 23 16:44:13 EDT 2002

Hi,

On Tue, Apr 23, 2002 at 04:57:27PM -0300, ademir goulart wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I´m using SPREAD  for developing a resource management application.
> I would like to have one daemon in each LAN ( in each Campus).
> In some places we use subnet of a C class  like  xxx.yyy.zzz.nnn/27 or mask
> 255.255.255.224.
> Spread works fine with subnet? In SPREAD.CONF instead of use broadcast
> ...255  we can use broadcast of the subnet?

Yes, you should use the real broadcst address of the subnet. That may or may
not end in 255 (and as you note it will not if you are not using a /24).

> How can we inform the mask?

Spread does not need to know the mask. It just uses the broadcast address
you provide to try to send broadcast packets.

We have seen occasional configuration problems with some peoples more
unusual network configurations, but a straightforward CIDR subnet should not
be a problem.

> Follow SPREAD.CONF
>
> Spread_Segment  200.xxx.63.255:4803 {
>
>                 Seplan                 200.xxx.63.226
> }
> #net 200.xxx.63.xxx/24
>
> Spread_Segment  200.xxx.49.255:4803 {

This Spread_Segment line should use the correct broadcsast address
200.xx.49.??? for your /27.

Jonathan R. Stanton         jonathan at cs.jhu.edu
Dept. of Computer Science