[Spread-users] mod_log_spread and RELIABLE_MESS

John David Duncan jdd at greatschools.net
Wed Apr 3 17:48:16 EST 2002

> Daniel Rall wrote:
>> John David Duncan <jdd at greatschools.net> writes:
>>> So here's a simple question:  is there any advantage in having
>>> mod_log_spread send messages as UNRELIABLE_MESS rather than
>>> RELIABLE_MESS?
>> Indeed.  Without flow control built in to the Spread server, the
>> "reliable" messages aren't nearly so reliable.

Well, there is certainly some flow control built into spread, and there
might not be any good way for mod_log_spread (as a sender) to implement
application-level flow control, because of the way apache processes come
and go.

My problem isn't that my logging machine can't keep up -- it's that the
slowest webserver/sender occasionally gets bogged down, and that this
effects the rest of the segment.

What I'm asking, since I don't need the semantics of reliable messages,
is whether it actually makes life any easier for spread if I send
unreliable ones.