[Spread-users] changing topology, security, and firewalls

Clark C . Evans cce at clarkevans.com
Mon Apr 1 20:26:43 EST 2002

On Mon, Apr 01, 2002 at 06:21:42PM -0500, Jonathan Stanton wrote:
| the token is only passed to the first machien in the other segment
| (which is assigned the real IP address) and the data messsages are
| also sent to the first machine in the segment for it to rebroadcast
| to the rest of the segment.

Ok, so inter-segment communication occurs using only between the
computers listed first in each segment... or did I read this wrong?
If I'm right, how is failure handled in this case?  Thank you
for explaining the NAT hack.   I can see that I have _alot_ to
learn about networking practicalities.  ;)

| This sounds really interesting. Do you have a specifiation for
| what services you think a message bus should include?

The specification for YAML is at http://yaml.org/spec as for which
services, I'm mostly focusing on my pet application at this time.
It seems that YAML+SPREAD should be a nice match.  We have a minimal
python binding, a fairly good Perl binding, and a Java binding in the
cooker.  This should allow for language/platform independent
"structured" messages to be packed/unpacked into native data
structures, with SPREAD they can now move objects between processes
and replicate them.  It's quite neat... when I have something working
I'll send out a notification (but it may be a while as I'm trying
to launch a company which sucks most of my "free" time *sigh*).  I
hope this is a good response to your question.

Thank you so much Jonathan.

Best,

Clark