[Spread-users] Kerberos and spread...

Cristina Nita-Rotaru crisn at cnds.jhu.edu
Wed Sep 19 12:08:39 EDT 2001

Hi,

> I've heard this project mentioned a few times and have been meaning to
> check it out for quite some time.  Encrypting data increases the size of
> small messages by typically quite a bit.  What encryption algo's are you
> using, or have some folks at CNDS found a way around this?

Secure Spread is currently using Blowfish, which encrypts 64-bit blocks.
It can increase the size of your message if the message size is not a multiple
of 8 bytes.  I don't think that this increase is significant, it depends what do

you mean by a small mesage.

> It's pretty easy to follow once you get over the terminology hump.  Is
> there more information available regarding secure spread? -sc

There are a couple of papers, and also we have released a Secure Spread
version some months ago. All the information and the code are available at
http://www.cnds.jhu.edu/research/group/secure_spread/

Secure Spread is an ongoing research project so we are interested in any
comments or suggestions.

-- Cristina