[Spread-users] Public CVS?

Theo Schlossnagle jesus at omniti.com
Tue Sep 18 12:44:31 EDT 2001

On Tuesday, September 18, 2001, at 02:35  AM, Jon Stevens wrote:
> on 9/17/01 11:20 PM, "Ask Bjoern Hansen" <ask at valueclick.com> wrote:
>
>> I realize that; I just wanted to point out that while I agree that
>> anon cvs would give a different kind of convenience, then I don't
>> think it's worth giving the Spread people hassle over.  If you send
>> an oodle of patches I am sure your wishes will have more weight.
>
> Part of the issue is that I'm much less willing to contribute to
> projects
> which don't follow basic OSS development principles. That is like
> working
> for a company that I don't believe in.

Interesting perspective.  I don't agree or disagree.  I would like to
know the basic OSS development principles.  Can you point me to
documentation and/or an RFC?  I am actually very interested and I think
something like that (if widely accepted) would be very useful.

> First it was the license, and now it is this. It is disappointing to see
> these simple things become stumbling blocks.
>
> I really disagree with using the CVS logs of OSS developers commits who
> are
> contributing their time and energy as a means to justify the grants for

Odd, I said nothing about commits.  In fact I am the _only_ person who
commits to mod_backhand.  If someone else showed tremendous interest in
adding new features, I would consider allowing commit access, but it is
the _viewing_ that _I_ find that justifies the project.  Much more
valuable is the info I get from the "download" form.  It gives me hints
that someone may have discussed mod_backhand at a tutorial or a
conference if there is bursty download behaviour.

Again, I will reiterate that I was speaking about the projects that _I_
maintain.  Spread is not one of them.

--
Theo Schlossnagle
1024D/82844984/95FD 30F1 489E 4613 F22E  491A 7E88 364C 8284 4984