[Spread-users] Public CVS?

Theo Schlossnagle jesus at omniti.com
Mon Sep 17 23:55:21 EDT 2001

On Monday, September 17, 2001, at 10:55  PM, Jeremy Hylton wrote:
> I understand CVS access came up before, but I couldn't find a message
> that offered a clear picture of the plan for CVS access.  If I
> understand correctly, there is a CVS server available and accounts
> will be issued open request.  Can anyone get an account?  If so, is
> there some mechanism to restrict access so that someone doesn't
> accidentally add or remove files or directories?

Here is my understanding... Jonathan, feel free to smack me if I put my
foot in my mouth ;-)

(1)  Absolutely anyone can have CVS access over ssh with an account.
Just ask.
(2)  No one will have commit access (sans the current maintainers).  It
is read-only.

It provides public CVS access WITHOUT anonymity to ANYONE who simply
asks.

Send an email to "spread at spread.org" and say.

"Hey my name is <name here> and I would like CVS access to Spread."

You will receive instructions on how to access it (standard CVS over
SSH) including the machine name, you log in and password.

If you would like to auth with an RSA or DSA ssh key, include your
public identity in your request email.

It is that simple or complicated - however you wish to view things :-)

--
Theo Schlossnagle
1024D/82844984/95FD 30F1 489E 4613 F22E  491A 7E88 364C 8284 4984