[Spread-users] mod_log_spread: Multiple daemons versus single daemon

Theo Schlossnagle jesus at omniti.com
Thu Sep 13 21:14:49 EDT 2001

On Thursday, September 13, 2001, at 07:40  PM, Christian Robottom Reis
wrote:
> but I am wondering if this is expected or now. Right now the daemon eats
> up 30% CPU of a 500MHz machine, which isn't too little IMHO.

Remember, most OSs don't show you a good representation of time waiting
for I/O.  So, if 30% CPU usage better or worse that the invisible or
poorly represented I/O usage?  I don't know the answer, but at least
keep the question in mind :-)

> My question is: is using a single daemon more efficient in this case?
> Since it's a very CPU-bound application, and the local network between
> machines can take the traffic, shouldn't avoiding the multicasting be
> better? In other words, are we stressing the local loop between server
> and
> local daemon, without making things any lighter on the network at all?

Multicasting should be very very cheap?  What OS are you running?

> I'd like to know the opinions of veteral m_l_s users, and if there are
> tweaks I should make (beyond shifting MAX_SESSIONS_MESSAGE to 5000 which
> I just did)?

You should really post the message to the mls mailing list for that kind
of response :-)