[Spread-users] Names, -n and /etc/hosts

Christian Robottom Reis kiko at async.com.br
Thu Sep 13 17:46:46 EDT 2001

Hi,

I'm working with mod_log_spread and spread 3.15.2, and I've run into a
problem that is a bit odd and hard to track down. I've been trying to get
spread to run for some time on a machine, and only today I've noticed that
the reason it doesn't work is the lack of an entry in /etc/hosts for the
name.

It could be fair enough; but one of the things that strikes me as strange
is that I've been using -n as a parameter to spread and it _seems_ to work
fine. However, it doesn't, and user shows no traffic _nor_ the tell-tale
message:

Received REGULAR membership for group foo with 1 members, where I am
member 0:
        #user#ngweb3
grp id is -1062731516 1000416861 1
Due to the JOIN of #user#ngweb3

Now I've got a setup with a couple of interfaces, which could mean that
things are a bit mixed up (and this might be changing, specially with the
multi-interface talk that was up a while back) but I just wanted to write
in and leave this registered: have /etc/hosts have the hostname (just the
stub, not the full name); the -n switch to spread might work, but I don't
know how.

Take care,